When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 29 April 2013

The weekend was a long weekend-long hours that is!

 I'm not sure that this particular procedure is covered in the Techno cnc manual that came with the machine :) After the Sponge Bob ocean base, The Z-axis was too high to cut anything else, so I had to drop it back down to where it was usable. It didn't take long, but it was a little freaky to do!

The Gotham City backdrop got cut out on our Techno cnc. Pretty fast at around 4 minutes per panel!
The 24 inch moon seemed to just roll around and get in the way for the most part. It did live on a bucket, until someone stole it for making scenic mud. Probably that Jody and Anna!

We textured the styrofoam moon ball by dumping sand on it and flaming it with a propane torch. The sand makes a great heat shield, while melting the exposed areas. A super fast way of texturing!
The Dino-Riders base got carved up as well. This was pretty quick with the reciprocating saw and an 11 inch tree limb blade.
Look, it's the painting/tree fairies working their magic on the dino base. We tinted the mud with the base color of the set, then parged it on. We basically treated the surface the same way we do our faux concrete. Wait till it tacks up, then run a textured roller over it, then knock it down.


The background rocks got their base hard-coat as well. This is kind of fun slapping it all on, then rough smoothing it out. It does take longer than you would think! The very chiseled look compliments the style of the toy perfectly. These will all get glazed and dressed on set.

The truck showed up at around 11 am this morning, and we were able to get everything except the tools loaded. They'll ride with us in the van.

By the end of the first set-build day, we were exactly where I hoped to be in studio. I did have to come back to the shop and build a couple of last minute things for tomorrow, so there wont be much sleep between now and the 5 am alarm clock persistance!
8)
JO



No comments:

Post a Comment