When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 16 March 2012

Gummy the shark!

Gummy due to the fact that the teeth won't be cut until tomorrow! Today was another 'just as planned' day. I really like these kind of days (aim low, and your never disapointed ;) I drew up the files for the cedar sign last night. We seem to have the only cnc router that isn't limited to 2d cutting. By this I just mean that we cut all the dimensional signage for about 5 local sign shops. This is very good for us! Sometimes I am just as happy to run the files, and let someone else do the finishing work. They needed the 2'X3' sign for today, so I let our Techno cnc buzz through that while I cleaned up all the seams on the shark dispenser. For a change, I really liked sanding this time. Normally it can be very boring, but I just kept moving forward.
He's looking stellar now. I got the bottom jaw all fitted and glued up, as well as the arms attached. I will finish the last of these seams on Saturday. He also has 2 small fins that pop out of his shirt sleeves. I'm going to leave these separate so they won't be a problem for spraying the hardcoat on. The only thing left for us on this is cutting the base plate, and adding the teeth. Because he's hollow from top to bottom for the machine to fit into, this whole thing only weighs in at 18 lbs!

I think he will make an awesome addition to the Ripley's Aquariums.
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment