When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 15 March 2012

I love it when a shark comes together!

Today, for the most part was very uneventful. I mean that in the best of ways. Sometimes I don't want any excitement on a short run job!
I finished all the cutting on the shark dispenser. Even the double-sided machining went exactly as planned. Increasing the step-over to 15% certainly helped with the run times, On average, I was getting a double sided file every 40 mins. There was a total of 28 files that needed running so I was happy to get it down to the 40 min mark.

He'll look a whole lot more awesomer with the tape removed tomorrow. I have been using clean clay as a filler on some of the seams so I dont have to deal with any shrinking, thus speeding up the time it will take to deliver him to the hardcoat stage. I'm getting more used to the size of him now, those sheets of styrofoam he's standing on are 4' X 4'.
Tomorrow I will fit the shoes to the body, clean up the seams, and get the arms glued on. I have a cedar sign to router first thing in the morning, so I was in a hurry to get all the parts done today. The sign can router away while I'm doing my best to finish him up. Which is good, because I'm running out of creative shark blog post titles.
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment