When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Will it ever end!

All day was spent cutting pieces for the shark dispenser. Remember the final scene in Jaws where Roy Scheider shoots the dive tank in Jaws' mouth, causing the shark to explode into tons of pieces? That's kinda what it looked like today. Parts everywhere. Because I nested alot of the parts to get more yield, I wasn't able to assemble a lot of them due to the fact that they aren't being cut in any particular order. I managed to save all the double sided machining for last, so tomorrow will see that getting started. I did finish the head and neck section off today, but won't be able to finish the seams until the glue is dry tomorrow.

 The nice thing about building this in slices is that it allows us to make the head hollow. This is where the dispenser will be filled from. We will be cutting out a hatch that will have a lock installed to keep nosey parkers from getting into the machine.
 As per usual, the parts are now going to be coming of our Techno cnc faster than I can assemble them. I'm quite pumped about this job now, it's nice to see progress!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment