When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 19 March 2012

Swim safely my lightweight friend

I worked on Saturday to get the teeth machined up for the shark dispenser. While they were cutting away, I used the time to draw up the 3" thick base that he would be mounted to.
The base was pretty straight forward, only a portion needed to be 3d machined. This was the tapered pocket that the foot pedal switch, to turn the machine on and off, will live in when it's not needed. I tapered it towards the outside edge, as well as put in a small trough to allow for water drainage if this guy gets caught out in the rain.

The underside of the base has a recess for the 3/4" plywood cut-out to sit into, and I added deeper pockets radiating inward so the machine can suck cool air in from around the base. Today I did the last little touch-ups and filling, he's now ready to ride the current out of our place. I'm hoping to be able to stop over at the hard-coaters shop and get some pictures of him all coated when he's done.

I need to send a thanks to both Bill Feasby, and Chris Kalian for getting us to work on this pretty fun job! This stuff really makes the difference between working and having fun!
I wonder what's next...........................
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment