When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Shark dispenser

It's been a huge roller coaster ride at our place. The move was exhausting to say the least. I have been very lucky to be doing ALL computer work the last little bit. And by that I mean that as everything is still in a sort of chaos, sitting on a computer is just what I needed!
The Prana chair has been a game of start and stop with the files, so we haven't cut anything with that job. But there is 5 sheets of 2" HDU waiting patiently on the rack. We are moving a long waiting job to the front of the line. This is a 74" tall shark themed dispenser for a theme park. We are just doing the cutting and assembly, another local company will be spraying the hardcoat urethane. They get it in MASSIVE quantities, and have the industrial equipment to coat it with. This is a good mix for everyone.


 I'm going to cut it from 3" slabs of type2 EPS foam. I modelled this job a while ago, but he's only comming to fruition now. Sometimes things can move slooowly.

And as I love being in a creative work envelope, I always try and push my limits on what I'm doing. I was watching TV the other night and saw the Excel gum commercial. We didn't work on these, but the commercials are great.These are the ones with the little food guys that follow you around until you have a piece of gum. I've seen them before, but never really paid much attention to them. For some reason, last night they really stuck with me. So at 11 pm I decided I wanted to model a couple of them in Hexagon, and render them in a trial version of KEYSHOT rendering software. What a great, easy piece of software that is!

Long story short, I did some renders and was quite happy with both the models and the finals. Again, these are just personal projects to push some new skills, but they were fun!


Tonight I might comp them into some vacation photos. I'm having a blast!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment